Parenting Tips on Effective Record Storage For Your Child’s Special Education Records

Does your child with autism have a massive amount of school records, and you are not sure what to do with them? Would you like a organized system, so that you can find important information at a moments notice? Then this article is for you; it will give you some parenting tips, on how to store your child’s special education records. Short and Long Term storage will be discussed.Before you are ready to store your child’s records here are a few things to do first:A. Get a complete copy of your child’s school record, from special education personnel, in your district. Put them in order, older records on the bottom, newer records on the top.B. Number each document with a pencil. Do not write on original documents, use post it notes. That way, they can be copied later if needed.C. Make a decision about how you want to keep the records; hanging files or in binders to put on a bookshelf.D. Write or type a index for each binder or hanging file. Put the numbers of the documents, and also what is in the files. Be very specific, so that you can find what you need. For Example: Document 6, psychological from 04-11-07 includes academic testing, psychological testing, good statements about Bobbie’s educational needs. Social worker report includes great information about Bobbie’s adaptive skills.Short Term Storage for current special educational records:1. Go to an office supply store and buy clear Top Loading sheet protectors. You can buy them by the box. Also purchase a snap locking large ring binder, for short term storage of records.2. Put each document in the protectors. This way they cannot be destroyed.3. Put the current documents in a snap locking large ring binder, older documents on the bottom, newer documents on the top. Add the index to the front of the binder. If your child has a lot of current school records, you may need to purchase more than one binder.Long Term Storage:1. Go to an office supply store and buy clear top loading sheet protectors.2. Also purchase Hanging storage binders or large 3 ring binders, whichever you have decided to use. If you choose 3 ring binders, make sure that the rings are large, so that they can fit more documents.3. Place the records in the clear top loading sheet protectors, older on the bottom, and newer on the top. Then put in the binders.4. Put an index in the beginning of each binder, and a date on each binder. You can separate the documents by years if you would like to.5. Place the records in the binders. For the hanging storage binders you can put those in a file cabinet. The 3 ring binders can be put on a book shelf.By knowing how to store your child’s school records, they will be organized and easy to find at a moments notice. Happy storing!

Parenting Tips – 3 Tips On Finding An Independent Evaluator For Your Child With A Disability

Are you the parent of a child with a disability, who would like to
have an independent educational evaluation (IEE) performed on your
child, but don’t know how to find an evaluator? Would you like to
learn about resources that can help you find a qualified independent
evaluator. This article will discuss 3 tips on finding a qualified
evaluator to perform an IEE on your child.Tip 1: Ask other parents that have children with disabilities, if
they have any names of qualified evaluators. Make sure that the
evaluator is qualified, to test your child, in the areas that they
need to be tested. Parents often discuss various issues about special
education, including educational evaluators they have used. In my
state of Illinois parents often pass around names of evaluators that
are child and parent friendly. Try looking for parents that have
children with similar disabilities to your child. For example: if your
child has autism, ask other parents for evaluators that specialize in
children with autism. Large University hospitals often have clinics
for children with all autism spectrum disorders.Tip 2: Try calling a Parent Training and Information Center (PTIC), or
a Center for Independent Living (CIL), and ask if they have a list of
qualified evaluators. A list of all PTIC’s in the USA can be found in
Appendix E of the book From Emotions to Advocacy by Pam and Peter
Wright. The book can be found at A Center for
Independent Living in your area can be found at Most PTIC’s and CILS have people trained in
special education, to help parents.Tip 3: Check out your state board of education’s Web site, and see if
they have a list of Independent Educational Evaluators. Be careful
though, because some of the names may be past school employees. If you
would like to use someone on the list, check with other parents to see
if they know them, and if they know whether they are willing to stand
up to school districts, for children with disabilities. In Illinois
where I live, many of the child and parent friendly evaluators are not
on the list. It is an option, though, to at least get a few names.Since you have decided to get an Independent Educational Evaluation
for your child, the person you pick is critical. If you pick a person
that is not qualified to conduct the evaluation, then the evaluation
will not help your child. Also, if you pick an evaluator that is not
willing to stand up to special education personnel, this will not
benefit your child either. Take your time, and find an evaluator that
will help you determine what your child’s educational and related
service needs are. Your child is worth the time!